Fall in Love with Fall

Friday, September 14, 2012




Quick note on my absence from blogging over the past few weeks:




"Eh-em... Life happens and I get lazy."





The end!


(Chanel, considering you're probably my only reader that was mostly for you.) 





Summer was absolutely amazing and I'll have to tell you about it when I have more than 10 spare minutes to blog.




On to more important numbers...


33°  

 
 That's what the temp was yesterday morning as I left for class.


Good grief, people. Where did my sweet summer go? Seriously there is no sneakier transition than summer to fall. Talk about getting the sunshine-happy rug pulled out from under you...




BUT there is a silver lining to this everyone. And instead of boring you with a monologue as to why, I prefer to show you.

































You bet I just overloaded you with my virtual Autumn on pinterest.

Side note: I'm trying to wean myself off of using so much internet pictures, but I mean, come on, do these make you want to light a fire, throw on some wool socks and curl up with a Jane Austen or WHAT??



Fall, you may have stolen summer from me, but for now I will embrace you and all your holiday wonder-ness. 





The first Fall activity that the man and I partook in as an initiation back into Rexburg life was a hike up in Table Mountain, near Jackson WY.

We were unequipped with the proper shoes as well as unaware of how long the hike would really be, and although we absolutely love the idea of being avid hikers, our experience is still a little low...

The hike was 16 miles (my feet hurt when I type it) and it took us about 8 hours with our 2 traveling companions.






This picture was taken about 5 miles in, when we were still happy.



The Alaska basin hike is amazingly gorgeous, and we got to watch the sun come up as we were making our way up the mountain. (a.k.a. we left crazy early in the morning in order to beat a majority of the heat. Boo.)









By the time we reached our destination, a "lake" (more like a pond) at the top of a screaming shale-covered death hill, we were a little tuckered out. 



Yes, that is a Dunder Mifflin shirt Josh is wearing.


 
Nearing the end of the hike, we under-estimated how much longer it would take us to make it back to the trail-head. I had a strained foot and was seriously slowing down the group. 
Sorry I'm not that tough. Plus my shoes suck.


I thought we mayyybe had a mile, possibly half a mile left when we saw the worst, meanest, most awful sign ever that said 


"2.7 miles until trail-head"



That meant a possible 2 more hours with the pace we were making.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to cry a little bit. Or laugh. Fits of hysteria were on the brink.


Instead I decided to pick up the pace for the sake of everyone else and began what I like to call 'hobble-jogging' with my gimp foot as fast as I could for the next 3 miles. It was all I could do, man.

Josh, being the supportive person he is while suffering his own ailments, turned on some inspirational music on his smart phone to inspire a bit of speed in all of us. Think, Eye of the Tiger, Takin Care of Business, Waka Waka and such.  

What a guy.


After two snake sightings that scared the hobble out of my gimp, and an hour and a half of attempts at 'enjoying the scenery' I finally caught glimpse of a car.

I don't know if I've ever been more happy to see a parking lot. Or take a shower. Or sit down. Or not be on a mountain. Or never see another rock again in my life as long as I live.


You'll notice me on campus by my slight, shameful limp.

 

Happy hiking, everyone.

 

2 comments:

  1. Haha what a great hike! Thanks for crystalizing that for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this was written for me. And I loved every moment reading it!

    ReplyDelete