Our Friday Night

Saturday, May 24, 2014



Josh's mom, Kris has been great at picking up on some of the coolest/ yummiest places around Lakeville. Before we went to a Twins game during our first week in town she found this place called the Smack Shack in downtown Minneapolis where we had the best crab cake sandwiches of ever.

Earlier in the week she told Josh and I about this place called the Olive Grove in Mendota Heights that sells quality balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and other italian goods. 

Um. Yes please.

So we decided to piggy back on Josh's parents night out and join them for dinner and an amazing taste-testing of quality and uniquely flavored oils and vinegars.



Bread and toothpicks were offered as vehicles for the oils and vinegar but I couldn't be bothered. 
Once I saw words like "Peruvian Lime", "Sweet Peach", "and "Black Truffle" I was sipping straight from the little cups. Every flavor was super unique and delicious. 







This fusti above (I learned that's the name for these big beautiful steel canisters) had an 18-year aged balsamic vinegar that was so smooth and sweet I went back for seconds. There was also a delicious 12-year aged balsamic that had just a little more bite to it.


Our favorites:

18-year aged balsamic
Chipotle olive oil
Cinnamon pear white balsamic
JalapeƱo balsamic
Mango balsamic
Peruvian Lime olive oil + Mango balsamic combo


I wanted to take all of them home, but we decided on the Mango to add to salad dressings, drizzle on top of salsas and for meat and summer grilling marinades. I can't wait to use it!


Then we headed across the street to mendoberri cafe for some really scrumptious grub.










Yes, that is three photos of the same burger. It was that good.


One thing I realized about outings involving food is that I am the worst at documenting the people!
I tend to kind of make the meals and food the star of the show haha... 

*Note to self to snap more pics of Josh and I in the future*

We really have appreciated the breadth of experiences we've been able to have since moving away from Idaho. Rexburg was a great spring-board for our marriage and we had experiences/ fun times that won't be forgotten, but living in a new area has actually added a new dimension to our relationship. Each of us is happier and more energized every day to get up, go, and try new things. Even taking walks around the neighborhood and the local trails is a sweet, new experience. I wasn't expecting to enjoy Minnesota so much but the people, the cities, cute downtowns and gorgeous farmland are beginning to make it hard not to. 

We've got a good thing going here MN. I think you and I will get a long real nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment